Re: HEAD broken at the moment?

From: YONETANI Tomokazu <qhwt+dfly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:24:08 +0900

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:29:24PM -0700, Chris Pressey wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:44:05 -0400
> Scott Ullrich <geekgod@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > YONETANI Tomokazu wrote:
> > > But `make -sj5 buildworld' on a source tree without -P worked for
> > > me. I think the real issue is here:

> > > You're trying to put generated files inside your source tree. It may
> > > work for a build in a sub directory, but probably not for
> > > buildworld. And I wonder if specifying MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX or DESTDIR
> > > with anything other than via environment variable works well with
> > > bulidworld, because variable assignment on command line has higher
> > > precedence than via environment variable, and it gets passed down
> > > recursively via MAKEFLAGS.
> >
> > The puzzling thing is that this worked great when I did the
> > openssh-3.9p1 import.   Is this something to do with the SUS changes?
> > I  remember on 5.X the create jail script changed and it sounds
> > somewhat  similar where you have to pass the ENV variables down the
> > stack.
>
> This worked for me:
>
>   env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/cpressey/root/usr/obj make buildworld
>
> Haven't figured out how to make a fake, as-non-root-user installworld
> happen yet, though.  This mess:
>
>   env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/cpressey/root/usr/obj make \
>       SHAREOWN=cpressey SHAREGRP=2011 \
>       INSTALL="sh `pwd`/tools/install.sh" \
>       DESTDIR=/home/cpressey/root installworld
>
> gets me as far as I have gotten so far, but it chokes on trying to use
> "install-info" from within lib/libcom_err/doc, which (presumably) fails
> while trying to chgrp and chown what it's installing, as a normal user
> (me.)

Ok, update src/tools/install.sh to 1.4 and try the following:
$ me=`id -nu`; us=`id -gn`; root=$HOME/root
$ env - \
    __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null \
    MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$root/usr/obj \
    KERNCONFDIR=/where/you/keep/config/files \
    KERNCONF=YOURCONFIG \
  make buildworld buildkernel

$ env - \
    __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null \
    DESTDIR=$root \
    MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$root/usr/obj \
    KERNCONFDIR=/where/you/keep/config/files \
    KERNCONF=YOURCONFIG \
    INSTALL="sh `pwd`/tools/install.sh" \
    BINOWN=$me BINGRP=$us SHAREOWN=$me SHAREGRP=$us \
 make installworld installkernel