Re: Same ad0 timeout with new ISO

To: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 09:23:49 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:I thought the same thing, until I bought another off ebay and reinstalled
:FBSD on the drive in question without a hitch.  It's a laptop, so no loose
:cables or such.
:
:jm

    Yah, I'm fairly sure it isn't your hard drive.  Our best bet at fixing
    it is going to be if Hiten can reliably reproduce the timeout issue
    under VMWare-4 that he reported in early March when this first came up.
    That's a smoking gun.  The question, though, is what is causing it?

I can try with an older ISO snapshot, like 17th March, which was having this problem. The second one relative to the one on the site is not producing this problem.

	Infact, I am not even getting the console hangs or sio(4)
	problems that I used to with the older image.  If I run into
	these again, I will post something up here.

	Now, there could be two things here --- the problems could have
	gone away because of my upgrade to the *latest* VMware, or that
	something got `magically' fixed in-between 17th Mar. and the
	latest snapshot... I have yet to find out.

		-Hiten
		Hiten Pandya
		hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx