Re: new library, libcaps

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:04:12 -0600

On 2003-11-24, Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok, I've committed a new library, libcaps.  This library is intended
to encompass core userland threading features and IPC mechanisms.
It currently contains an (incomplete) lwkt_thread.c, a more complete
lwkt_msgport.c (both inherited from the kernel), an untested slab
allocator ported from the kernel (it was easier to port then
inherit), and my initial go at IPC functions which are the caps_*.c
files.  It is not intended to become a new libcr.  Instead it is
intended to abstract mechanisms that libcr will wind up using.

Great! I think it's very good that there could be a non-pthread interface to threading and messaging. The application that I'm trying to port (as I understand it) doesn't map too well to posix threads, so it would make sense for us to use "lower-level" interfaces to threading - even though it's less portable.

This is what I want to base my demos on by the way. To help explain some things about the threads/messages in DragonFly.

So, thanks for the pointer. I'll be watching libcaps's progress closely (-:

Every time I read it I think I am seeing libpcap... :)

-- Andreas Fuchs, <asf@xxxxxxx>, asf@xxxxxxxxx, antifuchs