Re: new library, libcaps

From: Andreas Fuchs <asf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:00:48 +0100

On 2003-11-24, Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok, I've committed a new library, libcaps.  This library is intended
> to encompass core userland threading features and IPC mechanisms.
> It currently contains an (incomplete) lwkt_thread.c, a more complete
> lwkt_msgport.c (both inherited from the kernel), an untested slab
> allocator ported from the kernel (it was easier to port then
> inherit), and my initial go at IPC functions which are the caps_*.c
> files.  It is not intended to become a new libcr.  Instead it is
> intended to abstract mechanisms that libcr will wind up using.

Great! I think it's very good that there could be a non-pthread
interface to threading and messaging. The application that I'm trying
to port (as I understand it) doesn't map too well to posix threads, so
it would make sense for us to use "lower-level" interfaces to
threading - even though it's less portable.

So, thanks for the pointer. I'll be watching libcaps's progress
closely (-:

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@xxxxxxx>, asf@xxxxxxxxx, antifuchs