Re: Easy way to find identify files which share some content/blocks

From: Thomas Keusch <fwd+usenet-spam2011q3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Jul 2011 19:02:41 GMT

On 2011-05-02, Justin Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com> wrote:

Hi Justin,

> You could dump out the B-tree information.  I don't know how clear a
> picture would come from that, and it may require some massaging of
> data anyway since nonduplicated files may have some degree of
> matching, duplicated data anyway, especially when dealing with larger
> image file.

That's a bit beyond my current C programming skills I guess, and a
little to much effort for this little cleanup project. Anyway, thanks
for the idea.

> If you are sure that the corruption lies at the end of the files, you
> could loop over the files, read the first x bytes of each, then MD5
> that data.  Matching MD5 = matching file.

It mostly is at the end. This suggestion (partitioning files into
chunks) is what I had done so far (on Linux) with a few lines of shell
(changed old existing script for that), then, due to inherent
inefficiencies, in python.

A handful of lines, and output "inode, chunkId, hash" to file or SQL,
then go from there.

I had hoped hammer, as a deduplicating filesystem, had tools that could
easily give me that information without "hacks" like above.

Regards
Thomas