Re: ctrl alt backspace does not exit X server

From: Edward Martinez <edwardm1@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 03:54:57 -0700

On 11/05/10 18:44, Freddie Cash wrote:
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Sdävtaker<sdavtaker@gmail.com> wrote:
X.org removed that feature few versions ago, if you want to have the
ability to use it again need to start it with "-retro".
Or, you can add the following to your xorg.conf:
Section "ServerFlags"
         Option  "DontVTSwitch"          "False"
         Option  "DontZap"               "False"
EndSection

The first allows you to use CTRL+ALT+Function keys to switch between
the console and X.

The second allows you to use CTRL+ALT+Backspace to kill the X server.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm using a newer version of X because the options you and Sdavtaker described did not work for me or maybe i did something wrong, but, anyhow, I was able to find this snippet of code in FreeBSD forums,it did the trick: Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp", it needs to be added to xorg.conf, under the "Section InputDevice". Now I'm able to terminate X by pressing ctrl_alt_backspace. I'm enclosing it here for anybody having the same problem and the other options are not working for them:-)

code added to xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

 Regards
Edward