Re: USB image

To: Tron <tron@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Sascha Wildner <saw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:52:56 +0200

On 9/30/2010 3:40, Tron wrote:
   Thanks Dylan, it is clear now.
However, given your example of those other Linux ditro's, I am wondering
why the DF group decided to build their images this way if there is an
alternative. I mean if DF seriously wants to expand its ranks the best
way is from the herds of Windows users and most of them know nothing
about Unix. So the easier the route to see what DF can do - the more
likely is someone to put in the effort. With this USB example alone:
first, a newbie has to get the USB image, second realize (probably the
hard way 'cause there is no mention of this on the download page) that
the writing app is completely different from the one they use to write
their CD images with and ultimately see that even though the DF image is
small he can't move anything else onto the flash disk (which may be
particularly frustrating if they only have the big one they just
bought)... I think it is easy to see how many novices may get
discouraged with DF and give up almost before they began. Fortunately, I
am strongly motivated, have been to DF's IRC channel before and have
finally succeeded in signing up on this help list (which also wasn't the
most straight forward thing ever... and could not have happened without
my knowledge of IRC). My point is, I think you are a great bunch of guys
who have done one hell of a job, but if you want to attract not just the
most experience computer users, the route from A-B, never mind from A-Z
should be easier.

Let's be realistic here. Right now, we don't have the manpower it takes to make DragonFly appealing to the herds of Windows users which know nothing about Unix. I'm sure it would take much much more than just having an easier way to get our USB image onto a USB stick from Windows.

If that step were easier (and I'm not saying it shouldn't be) Windows users without a clue about Unix will then just give up one step later after they boot the system and land at the command line.

I think someone wanting to switch from Windows to a free alternative that mostly feels like Windows and doesn't require much Unix knowledge is much better off with one of the Linux distros that try to appeal to this clientel.

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't improve, nor do I harbor some elitist attitude. I'm just saying that going really down that road requires a lot more work than we are capable (and willing) to do, as things are. We need to set goals which we can realistically achieve.

Regards,
Sascha