Re: Ideas and questions on pkgsrc

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:07:44 -0400

On Tue, April 13, 2010 11:49 am, Ed Berger wrote:

> I don't think anyone yet has a proper tool or script to do this
> reliably.  A while back, when I tried one suggested with rolling-replace
> in the dragonfly-digest noted from pkgsrc mails, which probably just
> used the source packages. It became obvious to me it wasn't tested
> before being recommended, nor end user friendly and reliable on
> DragonFly, to deal with software updating issues.   I ended up with a
> hosed system.   I wouldn't mind this solution, if it was easy to setup,
> safe, and effective.

I could have sworn I did it and it worked...  Maybe retroactive wishful
thinking on my part?  In any case, I know I've used pkg_rolling-replace
from source with success.

> I'd expect an average user or sysadmin would prefer the speed and
> simplicity of this, if you keep the last known working binaries online
> when newer versions are broken.   I wouldn't mind seeing a publicly
> posted link to the pkgsrc mk.conf file used to build the binary
> packages, so they can be duplicated easily and adjusted locally as the
> sysadmin sees fit.

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~justin/simplepbulk.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/mk-base.conf

I've been unsetting PKG_DEVELOPER since that recently changed to have
unprivileged builds, but that shouldn't affect anyone not doing a bulk
build.  The only useful part would be PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS="dri inet6"