Re: Ideas and questions on pkgsrc

From: Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:38:46 +0300

Chris Turner wrote:
> Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
>
>> My by far most important gripe w/ pkgsrc is the inability to do mass
>> upgrades from binary packages in a straightforward manner. Not even sure
>> if it's anything the pkgsrc developers are concerned with.
>
> Can't you do this if you have the right make targets (e.g. check binary
> packages first) and pkg_rolling-replace?

Notice 'straightforward'. Consider also 'reliable'. The competition has
'single command' also.

> I think the problem you mean is more is 'mass upgrades from binary
> packages in a remote location' ..

Yes.

> I think yeah - a lot of pkgsrc folks have a site-local
> /usr/pkgsrc/packages hanging out in their automounter somewhere ..

How would that help w/ my problem?

Let me mention here that I appreciate pkgsrc and I think it's the only
viable solution for DragonFly for the forseeable future. But it is still
not where I'd want it to be.

Aggelos