Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 18:54:36 +0800

Robert Luciani wrote:
Freddie Cash wrote:
Booting FreeBSD 7.1 into a full KDE 4.2
desktop takes less than 5 minutes.  This is using 3x 120 GB SATA
drives in a single raidz1.

Wow 5 minutes?! I don't think I'd be pushing it if I said that seems really slow. :S On such a fast machine I'd be irritated if it took over a minute to boot. On my 3Ghz Athlon X2 w/ 2Gb RAM, DragonFly boots vkernels, hosting services, and Gnome in about a minute with my two 500Gb hammer drives.

One minute 45 seconds into Xfce4 for a VIA C7 @ 1.5 GHz, 2 GB DDR-533, all-hammerfs on 2 natacontrol RAID1 'antique' 60 GB PATA UDMA 100 HDD.

One minute 4 seconds into Xfce4 for an Intel T2130 @ 1.86 GHz 2 GB ?RAM, 1 X 120 GB 2.5" HDD, DFLY on 33 GB ad0s1, UFS2 with one hammer partition.

RIADz looks to be the wall-time hog....

Bill