Re: OT - was Hammer or ZFS based backup, encryption

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 22:36:11 -0800

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@parodius.com> wrote:
> I've been through this procedure twice in the past year, as I replaced
> 250GB disks with 500GB, and then 500GB disks with 750GB.  It's a *huge*
> pain, and I cannot imagine anyone in an enterprise environment using ZFS
> to emulate a filer -- it simply won't work.  For individual servers
> (where disks are going to remain the same size unless the box is
> formatted, etc.), oh yes, ZFS is absolutely fantastic.

Oh, and you don't have to re-create the pool in order to use the extra
space.  Just "zpool replace" the drives with larger ones, then "zpool
export" the pool, and "zpool import" the pool, and the extra space
becomes available.  I did this on my home server a couple of months
ago.  I started with 3x 120 GB drives split into 3 slices (2 GB for
use by gmirror for /, 1 GB for use as swap, rest for use by ZFS).
Later I moved / onto a 2 GB USB key.  A simple iteration of "zpool
replace pool ad4s1 ad4"  for each of the three drives, an export and
import, and I had an extra 9 GB of space in my pool.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com