Re: DragonFly cannot detect existing FreeBSD partitions during install and cannot detect SanDisk USB flash drive during install

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:26:08 -0700

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Hi Matt and Stefan,
:
:By the way, is there any difference when you install DragonFly on a
:notebook PC and a desktop PC? Because when I try to boot my USB
:SanDisk on an AMD-64 Athlon machine, it just detects the mount
:partition of the USB and successfully boots without any problem. Below
:is the dmesg and df messages output.

     Being able to boot off of alternative media really comes down to
     whether the BIOS support it or not.  I can boot off a USB stick
     on my test cubes though I've noticed that the BIOS does not always
     properly reset the USB ports, causing it to not probe them sometimes
     on reboot.

Yes, I've seen that, and also with my USB mouse occasionally, but it happens rarely so I don't know how to reproduce it.