Re: keeping pkgsrc up to date

From: Vincent Stemen <vince.dragonfly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:09:06 -0500

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 01:31:26PM -0700, walt wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>> :What do you use to keep your pkgsrc tree up to date?
>> :Anonymous cvs does work but is pretty slow.
>> :The cvsup mirrors seem to be rather busy.
>> :I used the mercurial repo at
>> :http://hg.scode.org/mirror/pkgsrc
>> :for some time, but it seems to be down now.
>> :
>> : Johannes
>>
>>      I do an overnight anoncvs update.  It isn't the most efficient
>>      way to do it but I don't know of any other official way to do it.
>
> I used to use cvsup from one of the NetBSD mirror sites, but I finally
> discovered that the cvsup mirrors for pkgsrc just didn't seem to update
> properly, so I switched back to anoncvs and the problem disappeared.
> Slower, but safer.

I see that pkgsrc is available on the NetBSD and mirror sites via
*rsync*.  I am not clear why everybody keeps dealing with the problems
with cvsup or slowness of cvs.  You can use the *mirror* tool
(http://hightek.org/mirror/) that I posted here a while back that
I originally wrote for fast, simple and automated updates of the
Dragonfly CVS repository.

- Vince