Re: HAMMER lockup

From: Jasse Jansson <jasse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:46:47 +0200

On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:22 AM, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:I've backed up my /home partition and formatted it as HAMMER. I :restored it and then moved some files around, did a prune-everything :and a reblock, all worked fine. (I love to see how hammer does NOT :stress the harddrive, as the LED rarely blinks. ;-) :However, 256M of RAM is not enough for HAMMER, but that's not a big :issue compared to ZFS.)

Yah, I like HAMMER's buffering too. UFS's softupdates has to flush
under certain conditions and UFS also uses cluster_write() which
tends to want to flush data out as buffers fill up. HAMMER doesn't
have to flush under any circumstances until the number of dirty buffers

Is there/ will there be in the future, a tunable that limits HAMMER's buffer allocations ???
I.e. can I tell HAMMER to only use a certain amount of memory and
let me fill up the rest of available RAM as I please.

Kaiser Jasse -- Authorized Stealth Oracle

The axioms of wisdom:
1. Go the SPARC way of life
2. You can't conquer the universe without the knowledge of FORTRAN
3. In the Unix realm, 10% of work fixes 90% of the problems