Re: Wiki Spam again

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:19:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, January 29, 2008 12:09 am, Vincent Stemen wrote:

> Also, have you guys looked at *Twiki* http://twiki.org/ ?
>
> We are considering using it for our own sites as the main CMS.  It is
> a structured wiki that can be used as a general Content Management
> System as well.  It is written in Perl and has the ability to store it's
> data in flat text files.  The license is the GPL.

The criterion shouldn't be language, but rather what features it offers.
I'm not thrilled with the TextCha option in MoinMoin, but I'm hesitant to
rip out one wiki for another for just one feature.

Now that I've had to actually wrangle MoinMoin a bit, it's not too bad.
At least, not bad enough that I think we have to dump it ASAP.

I was only seeing 1-2 spams per day, which I was fixing as soon as I saw
them, so I'm not that worried about this right now.  I think this
discussion just happened because there are more people looking at the wiki
now (yay!) and it hapened to be a page people saw.

Anyway: what features do we need to shop for?
- Easier user management: MoinMoin makes you switch to a user ID to
disable it, which is a pain for the multiple users that build up from
spam.
- Easier theme management: I'd like to have the wiki better integrated
visually into the dragonflybsd.org site, and no looking so 'wiki-ish'.
I've seen a number of Trac installs that are well-integrated that way.
- Portable: there should be a conversion method from MoinMoin to any new
target we select.

I've probably managed to kill the idea with verbiage at this point.