Re: Request for swapcontext and getcontext to be ported to our libc

From: Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:41:21 +1100

Noone? Im willing to pay up to $150 AUD ($110 USD, approx 80-90 euro) for those couple of functions + ensuring that PowerDNS-Recursor works after that. Please consider an estimate of how long its going to take and let me know(i suppose it might take only like 30 mins for some of you). Let me know your hourly charge. However keep in mind that i will always double check with other devs that im not being ripped off(not that im cheap, but i know you understand i dont do C thus i cant say how long its going to take...parents taught me to always be careful with money and all)

I'm being serious.

Cheers,

Petr

Petr Janda wrote:
This is an offer to anyone by the way...

Petr Janda wrote:
How much would you like me to pay you? Honest, give me estimate on how long this is going to take. If price is good, id also hire someone to add NSS support.

Cheers,
Petr

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
Petr Janda wrote:
Hi,
Could someone please port these from FreeBSD or NetBSD? Without them it seem is impossible to install powerdns-recusor.

Can anyone do it in their spare time please?

As I keep saying, open source usually doesn't work this way. This is how I see open source working:

(a) you need something, you do it
(b) you need something, you nag about it
(c) you need something, you offer to pay for it (code bounty), somebody takes it and does it for you

so, what we can see, (b) doesn't help if nobody matches (a) nor (c). of course you could have success by doing (b) so long until somebody either shows enough mercy and does it or gets interested himself and goes to (a). so if you *really* want something, (a) and (c) are the fastest ways. if your abilities do not match (a), you have to match (c). it's simple as that. people are volunteering and (as you observed correctly) doing stuff in their spare time. of course this leads to the result that people only actually do what they like to do and this does not necessarily match what *other* people would like them to do. offering money can overcome this problem. i think this is a fair model where everybody can contribute, either by writing code ((a)) or by supporting somebody who writes code ((c)).

cheers
  simon

ps: i think *context does not have to be a kernel function like in freebsd, but i'd like to hear more opinions on that