Re: Text-columns and CSS

From: "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:22:16 +0300

Hardly can see any reason to keep text-only browsers compatibility.
They are good for running from scripts but not for real surfing.
Almost everyone use Firefox/Opera/IE these days.

Trying to have as minimum of javascript/CSS/Flash as possible is a
good approach, but plain-old-html requirement is not an option IMHO.

Do you see any particular reason? Except just ability to use "links".
Do you really use "lynks and Co" for day-to-day browsing?

26 Oct 2006 11:02:43 GMT, Oliver Fromme <check+j7qnoj00rsxmg1f2@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Erik Wikström wrote:
 > Tom Davis wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > Of course, the site is probably flash, which is proprietary and not
 > > well supported on the BSDs.
 >
 > No, the site was not in flash, though I have not been able to find it. I
 > have, however, been able to reproduce the behavior of that site (though
 > I don't know if they used the same method.
 >
 > Take a look at: http://www.chalmers.it/~eriwik/test.html (should work in
 > Firefox v1.5 and later)

I very much hope that the (future) DargonFly BSD pages will
be viewable on any browser, even without JavaScript, with
cookies disabled, with user CSS settings overriding those
of the page author (or even without any CSS support at all).

The current paegs at dragonflybsd.org render perfectly fine
in lynx, links, w3m, dillo and other text-mode or otherwise
simple and lightweight browsers (although the Wiki seems
to be broken right now).  They even work in Opera's C64 mode.
;-)

I think it is desirable that any future redesign of the web
pages keep that property, i.e. be as browser-independent as
possible.

Just my 2 Euro cents.

Best regards
   Oliver