Re: Merging DragonFly make and NetBSD make

From: joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:37:24 +0200

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 04:33:11PM +1000, Dmitri Nikulin wrote:
> How about creating a universal BSD-licensed make which can then
> replace NetBSD's make (for NetBSD, so we Net guys can use perfectly
> useful flags like -C) AND GNU make.

You don't want to even try to implement GNU make. Heck, it is neither
well-defined nor bug-free enough to copy. It doesn't even allow some
perfectly sensible POSIX constructs.

About the original question of merging them: if someone really wants to
convert our infrastructure to use bmake, feel free to do that. Merging
them doesn't work since some modifiers etc. are different.

Joerg