Re: Merging DragonFly make and NetBSD make

From: "Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:33:11 +1000

On 6/19/06, Petr Janda <elekktretterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has anyone got plans for this? Sure, it's not _highly_ important, but it
would be nice not to have to do bmake but just make when installing the
pkgsrc ports now when pkgsrc is the official package management system.
Im not a C programmer so I cant do it.

How about creating a universal BSD-licensed make which can then replace NetBSD's make (for NetBSD, so we Net guys can use perfectly useful flags like -C) AND GNU make. As far as I can tell they're not all mutually exclusive, and if they are, it's still possible to have compatibility flags or environment variables.

I *am* a C programmer so I could look into it, but it'd be great to
hear from resident make authority Max Okumoto. make source seems to be
a lot larger than I could ever have expected so perhaps there's a lot
of magic to it. Or it's proof we need to start over...

-- Dmitri Nikulin