Re: Argh, Stray interrupts 2006

From: Danial Thom <danial_thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 07:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Ullrich <geekgod@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Scott Ullrich wrote:
> > Gergo Szakal wrote:
> >
> >> FYI, the leader of m0n0wall, talking about
> the feature of his OS
> >> mentioned that DragonFlyBSD is not even
> taken into consideration by
> >> him to base his system on, 'cause it's
> 'desktop oriented.'
> >

> > Actually that is partially untrue.   Fred
> Wright said this...
> >

> Sorry, meant to show the URL:

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list-dev/showmsg.php?id=12/75

this guy needs to come up for air and join the
21st century. Most of his "ideas" are 10  years
out of date.

Without tearing him to shreds bit by bit, the
commercial pull of using *nix for routing is that
the economies of scale of using off-the-shelf PC
hardware allow you to use so much horsepower for
such a small amount of money (relative to
dedicated hardware solutions), that the
inefficiencies of the design become a positive.
Rather than running microkernels on stripped down
hardware, you can run full-featured systems and
they perform as well or even better than
dedicated hardware solutions, for 1/3 the cost.
Once you go to specialized hardware, you've lost
the key advantage of using the free OS in the
first place, which is the rich feature set of the
entire O/S. Everything he says is exactly
backwards.

And the whole fanless, diskless moving parts BS
is just so stupid I can't stand it. Its like a
bunch of college kids sitting around thinking of
things to complain about. The guy is using crap
hardware, stripped down os and has to put all the
design effort into shrinking everything down, and
for what? To avoid one failure every 2-3 years?
Its just plain stupid, both fiscally and from an
engineering standpoint. The guy is still living
in the MFM, $2 fan days. I have 1000s of systems
in the field with like zero failures. Build the
system right and modern hardware doesn't fail
that easily.

He's also not looking for performance, so you
can't expect him to get excited about MP. And why
is he whining about driver support? On an
appliance type platform you only need a few
drivers to work well. Who cares if the
mobo-wonder ethernet card is supported or not?

DT