Re: starting pkgsrc services on 1.4

From: Cheese Lottery <cheeselottery@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:03:38 -0800

On 12/29/05, Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     No wait, I take it back.  There is a chaining script already in
>     our /etc/rc.d called /etc/rc.d/localdaemons.
>
>     It isn't picking up the scripts because they do not have a .sh suffix.
>
>     Sigh, that bites us in the ass again.  It was a bad idea to have
>     non-.sh and .sh RC scripts.
>
>     I am going to fix this in HEAD... that is, allow script directories
>     listed in local_startup (/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, /usr/local/etc/rc.d, etc)
>     to not have a .sh option, but I just don't know whether it is a good
>     idea to put in -RELEASE.  It could generate unintended side effects.

I looked it up, here is what FreeBSD has done:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.stable/33936 (description)
http://tinyurl.com/b5kn8 (code)

So they run rcorder, run the scripts until finishing mountcritremote,
re-run rcorder against both base and local rc.d scripts, skip the
scripts that have already run, and run the rest. (I think?)