Re: Python in base?

From: "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:04:46 +0200

esmith wrote:
Is Python GPL? If it is, there is no chance of having Python in the base distribution, correct?

Python is not GPL, it's a BSD like license. http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html

Personally I like Python very much and would love to see it as a standard installed package, just like cvsup, however I think the chance that Python (or PostgreSQL my favo bsd like licensed db) would be standard installed is very slim, because you force another package down the throat of the poor administrators.

Most bsd administrators I know have a bit of "I can &%$^$@% install my own $%#!$%* package if I need it" personality, perhaps not without reason.

--
mph