Re: Linux Emulation in the Future

From: John Duncan <agley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Sep 2005 07:13:51 +1000

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:47:23PM +1000, John Duncan wrote:
> >    I run a Linux program which carries its own build system and will
> >    probably never have the appropriate elf notes and needs branding.I
> >    notice on FreeBSD that brandelf is used by the ports system.
>
> You don't use GCC for linking? That would be enough to ensure that the
> correct crt* files are picked up and linked in. It is a bad idea to not
> do so, the unability to reliable detect the OS version is one of them.

   Yes, gcc is used for linking but the Linux one under an emulation
   chroot. The build system it has should enable me to cross compile it
   for DragonFly on Linux with the same CPU but I haven't been able to
   figure out which MACRO's to comment out or put in yet.

   Even then I would have to find out how to put elf notes for DragonFly
   in it I suppose.

> Nevertheless, while brandelf is not going away, I consider it
> deprecated.
>
> Joerg

    Hopefully it will work well enough for me.

                                    All the best,
                                      John Duncan