Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:22:21 +0200

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:26:21PM +0100, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> One of the only reason why I am still holding onto pkgsrc is because it
> has (atleast) some support for views or shall I say isolated installations
> of same package but different version; apart from that pkgsrc has no
> overall advantage over FreeBSD ports.

There are a lot of small things I came to love over the time, e.g.
support for shlock, (b)make package also building the packages of its
dependencies (that'S IMO the most annoying thing in ports). I think that
the option framework is much better implemented than ports', though it
would be nice to have a dialog sometimes. Overall, I found it more
annyoing in ports though, partly also because defining BATCH has other
side-effects too.

Joerg