Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: Michel Talon <talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:47:29 +0200

Hiten Pandya wrote:

> In my opinion, the option to build packages is only useful to people who
> want extreme modifications to their applications.  I am sure most
> people, including me would not really care about source packages; I for
> one would not bother building OpenOffice or KDE locally, total waste of
> time.

I totally agree with you.

> Extremely important to get binary package management right, including
> dependency handling, (automatic) updating.

Yes. But how do you manage those softs, unfortunately extremely
important, which cannot be delivered in binary form, like Java,
and their dependencies?
If it was not for these softs, and some other softs like Gnome, which
are constantly broken for any reason, i have the impression (illusion?)
that portupgrade -PP would do the job perfectly.