Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

From: Michel Talon <talon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:07:09 +0200

bec.de> <4302762D.70904@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hiten Pandya wrote:
> Can we not just go with an established packaging suite like the one
> found in Debian and modify it for our use?
>
> It's certainly more established than pkgsrc, and has more packages.
>
>             Hiten Pandya
>             hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hiten, i concur with you. In my opinion, pkgsrc or FreeBSD ports have no
importance, they both suck, *but* having a broad coverage of packages
is very important. There are two systems with broad coverage, Debian
and FreeBSD. This by itself is, in my humble opinion, far more important
than any other consideration. Moreover, in the beginning, Dfly had among
its objectives the creation of innovative package systems. Of course the
man power is not there and there are more immediately important
objectives, still i don't understand why it is so important to hurry
a decision on such a subject, and so jeopardize the future possibility
of doing so.