Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:59:35 -0700

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:10:22 +0100
Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On that note, DR and others, please do not commit the pkgsrc utilities
> into base just yet.  Make use of the nrelease framework in the same
> way  done for the installer code so we don't duplicate on things.

The installer is currently installed via FreeBSD-ports-style packages.

Are you suggesting the pkgsrc tools be added to the system in the same
way?  (It seems slightly odd to require one packaging system in order to
use another packaging system, is all.)

On the topic of the installer itself...

Since the installer now builds and runs on several BSD's, the BSD
Installer project is naturally looking for a more portable way to
deliver the product.

Pkgsrc would be one way, but from a technical viewpoint, it's hardly any
better than ports.  (The commitment to portability is really more of a
policy success than a technical achievement.)  To add to the list of
criticisms that Andy already gave:

- package install/deinstall can execute arbitrary commands
- bsd.port.mk and friends are almost unreadable/unmaintainable
- no way to create a package without installing first (TTBOMK)

These stem from underlying architectural and methodological flaws, but
those flaws probably aren't worth discussing in this venue.

Further, I simply haven't had the time to familiarize myself with
pkgsrc yet (despite it being architecturally virtually identical to
ports, it differs enough for me to not be able to pick it up
immediately, what with it using different variable names for the same
thing, etc) and create a BSD Installer pkgsrc package.  If DragonFly
does decide on pkgsrc, assistance with the conversion from a pkgsrc guru
would be most welcome.

-Chris