Re: Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:23:13 -0700

@britannica.bec.de>

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> ...To look over to Linux, that's why Gentoo is so fragile,
> because it also doesn't have a clear separation and binary package
> support in Gentoo sucks even compared to the BSDs...

Hm.  I admit I have zero experience with gentoo binary packages
because I use gentoo for its build-from-source package system.
That is exactly the reason I was attracted to it, and the reason
that I intend to stay with it.

I can see why a sysadmin with dozens of machines to maintain might
prefer a binary package system, of course!  (I have only three.)

But why does the pkgsrc-versus-ports argument have anything to do
with binary package management?  Are they related?