Re: cvsupfile targets

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

    The preview tag has NOT yet been slipped.  We are waiting on some ABI
    changes from Joerg.  Preview tracks current development that is
    considered 'reasonably stable', but it can be up to two months behind
    HEAD.  As I mentioned, we are very close to slipping the preview tag,
    but we don't want people tracking preview to have to recompile their
    ports twice so we are waiting until Joerg gets the stat structural
    changes in.

    It is true that the current HEAD is far more stable then the current
    preview tag.  I do want to slip the tag as soon as possible (nudge to
    Joerg :-)).

:What's the difference between RELEASE_x.x and RELEASE_x.x_Slip?  I'm all
:unsure now.

    Commits are made to the RELEASE branch, often over several weeks, before
    the sub-version is bumped and a new official sub-version is rolled.  When
    we roll a new official sub-version (e.g. 1.2.1, 1.2.2, etc..), we commit
    the update to the subversion file and then we slip the RELEASE_x.x_Slip
    tag.  This gives us a chance to test the commits we make on the release
    branch before actually making it official and this also provides people
    tracking the release with a solid well tested and documented jump.

    So what this means is that RELEASE_x.x_Slip tag is the OFFICIAL release
    tag that people using the release should track.  If you use the
    RELEASE_x.x tag you will get updates before we offiically release them,
    but the version number reported by the kernel will be wrong and you
    might accidently catch partial updates that have not been completely
    committed yet.

    My recommendation is to always use RELEASE_x.x_Slip (which is what our
    example cvsup files use) when tracking a RELEASE.

    At this very instant, since we just rolled a new sub-version, the
    release-slip tag is synchronized with the release tag.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>