Re: NTPD unable to adjust local clock

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:26:40 +0800

Miguel Filipe wrote:

Hi there, in the middle of this imense and juicy talk, anyone talked
with the maintainers, so that OpenNTPd could be correctws upstream,
were it should, instead of burdening DragonFly team.
Or at least, all bugs/fixes should be pushed upstream.

Note that we are still gettng our collective arms around what was done, why, and what it means.

I vote for ntpd because 1, 2 second diferences between my servers makes no problem. I think kerberos and IDS's can tolerate that.

Full/multiple second differences can give heartburn to a whole lot of fairly common stuff. Database, mail servers, etc. - even web caches.

OTOH, to the extent that you control all of the 'critical' servers,
just configure one to serve as master time source for the others.

So long as they are on the same song-sheet, 'absolute' accuracy
is of less imortance.

Bill