Re: looking for diskless advice

From: Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:49:41 -0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
[...]
Note that you can setup a server to export the ISO release image with NFS, and machines diskless-booted with that will operate just as if you
had booted from CD. What I would do is cpdup an ISO into a directory
on your NFS server, set up a DHCP server if you don't already have one,
and then modify the image so diskless-booted machines come up with a
working network, sshd, and key so you can access them remotely from the
server without any manual work on their consoles. Then automate the installation using ssh/scp/scripts from the server.

Using your dhcpd.conf as a guide (thanks btw), I was able to setup a single machine to PXE boot. Getting from there to customizing the image for each machine to PXE boot was getting complicated. The above sounds like a better solution. Thanks to all for the advice!

---chuck