looking for diskless advice

From: Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:28:35 -0800

My little side project using DFly as a platform to do some of our system validation tasks has snow-balled into something real, and now I need to replicate my environment to ~30 machines and keep the OS image on each current. There was a thread a while back that described how to setup a PXE/bootp environment that made me think setting up a diskless environment would be the way to go. I've never setup/maintained an environment this big before and am looking for some advice. From other people's experiences

1) is diskless a good approach or is it better to re-image the machines each time the OS changes (a.k.a. keeping up with _Stable on a regular basis)?

2) if diskless is a the way to go, is DFly going to use the same approach as FreeBSD? i.e. is reading the FreeBSD diskless HOWTO's going to help me get this setup or is there a different reference.

Thanks in advance.

--
Chuck Tuffli
Agilent Technologies