Re: dhcp from OpenBSD

From: Matthias Schmidt <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:02:59 +0200

Hi,

sorry for the last reply.  Was kinda "busy" over the weekend ;-)

* VOROSKOI Andras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have continued Matthias' work
> (http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2008-03/msg00025.html)
> on porting dhclient, dhcrelay and dhcpd. They build now, but i've only
> tested dhclient.
>
> http://gitorious.org/projects/dfly-dhcp
>
> I'm aware of Chris' problem with it
> (http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2008-03/msg00029.html)
> and I am willing to fix it later.
>
> But here comes my problem: Do we really want dhcrelay and dhcpd in the src tree?

Nah, IIRC we agreed on removing these two from the base.  Only the
OpenBSD dhclient with priv-sep should stay.  The remaining problem (as
you mentioned) was that simply removing our current dhclient breaks the
build.  Removing all of our current dhcp stuff fixes the build, but we
lose the possibility to use dhcpd on our live cd.

So, we should get the pkgsrc dhcpd on our live CD and then do the rest.
I prepared http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~matthias/nrelease.diff some
time ago.  This should fix the live CD problem, but I never tested an
installation, so it would be nice if someone could do this ...

> Well, dhclient is necessary for sure, but you can install dhcpd and
> dhcrelay from the pkgsrc tree. Having those in out tree just makes the
> tree bigger. Also pkgsrc reacts faster when security related issues
> comes up and the user base is also bigger.
> So if I should run a dhcpd server for some reason i would use the one in pkgsrc.

ACK.  dhcpd 4.x.x from pkgsrc works like a charm.

> So, please let me know if you are interested in this work at all. I do
> not want to go further if you agree with the removal.

Sure, go ahead.

Regards

	Matthias