Re: OpenBSD dhclient

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:41:28 -0400

Chris Turner wrote:

I like the priv. separation, etc. but I seem to recall having some problems with openbsd's DHCP w/r/t config file syntax or parsing at some point - am using their ports (ISC) version of the server on my openbsd boxes - cant recall if this isolated to the server or global and I never reported it there - will try and dig a little deeper & post here ..

personally, that's my only objection, if it bears fruit.. not sure what everyone else thinks w/r/t maintinance, etc.

aha.. though I nuked that particular workspace (doh!) -
enough remains in the notes to see that the problem was that dhcpd's
dhcpd.conf parser had diverged and that the older version in openbsd did not like things like

host mybox.199technologies.org {

}

as anything passing e.g. isdigit() following a '.' was assumed to be an IP address .. aka "199technologies.org" confused it..

ISC's parser has been enlightened and can handle this now.

This doesn't seem to affect dhclient type statements since the only
'block's are based on interface names and not host-or-IP strings..

so my particular objection is moot ..

though as I recall, some options are different w/r/t support for 'dynamic dns' - which has improved / changed in v3 (over openbsd's code).

I guess it's the usual tradeoff between security & features..

my ideal preference would be to have the nifty Open features (security) merged into the ISC client/server release (advanced dhcpitude) and reimported cleanly as a single unit.. but hey.. I guess I'm an idealist

I defer ..

- Chris