Re: Source Control system results and discussion

From: Oliver Fromme <check+k9fu5f00rsiwpz8m@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Oct 2008 07:51:53 GMT

Hasso Tepper wrote:
 > Matthew Dillon wrote:
 > > I propose first that the DragonFly repository be officially
 > > accessible via both Git and Mercurial.  Pick your favorite, for read
 > > access.  I do not think there is any argument here :-)
 >
 > I'm not sure it's worth of effort, really. And I mean it as active
 > committer voting for and currently using mercurial (I really see most of
 > _active_ contributors voting for git).

I think it is a bad idea to try to allow commits to both hg
and git, and cross-replicate between them.  This will lead
to trouble and pain.

Therefore I suggest to use git as the master repository
(yeah, I voted for hg, but I clearly see that the majority
of committers prefers git), and replicate it to a read-only
hg repository.  Of course, people could even set up their
own replications, so if someone would to like to import the
sources into an SVN repo, that shouldn't be difficult.
The same goes for CVS, so users can still use cvsup/csup
to update their source trees.

 > I'd question even changing revision control system at all. I don't think
 > that for porject with less than 10 active committers and with less than
 > 10 commits per day (average) any version control system is in the way.
 > But as seeing this enthusiasm to get a new toy ... I think that it's my
 > personal problem only ...

The problem is that the DF project is losing information.
CVS is really showing its age ...  for example, CVS does
not store merge info at all.  Every day CVS stays in place,
the project is losing meta data.  This was one of the main
motivations that finally accelerated FreeBSD's move away
from CVS.  And say goodbye to repo-copies.

Actually it doesn't matter much whether you go to SVN, Git
or Mercurial.  Every single one is better than CVS.

 > I really prefer people coding ...

I agree.  A better revision control system saves time (for
example when merging), so there's more time to code.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

[ Disclaimer:  I'm not a DF committer. ]