Re: DMA

From: "Dennis Melentyev" <dennis.melentyev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 09:47:00 +0300

Hi Dan!

2008/6/8 Dan M <strangepics@gmail.com>:
>> I've come around to the idea, though - I like the idea of a simple,
>> BSD-licensed mailer.  It's also not really useful to in an open source
>> project saying, "No, don't work on a part of the project that makes you
>> excited!"
>
> I agree. If that makes him excited, why not? I also think there's
> nothing wrong with a good modular, secure design, like that of qmail.
> Doesn't mean anyone has to implement the same code methodology as DJB.
> Although he did mention he is aware of the design... Bruce Guenter
> also uses the DJB design methodology, but not the DJB coding style. It
> would suck to see something new that's flawed and ridden with security
> holes though - that would be reinventing the wheel. Case in point is
> lighttpd. They claimed they were secure, better than Apache, etc. At
> least two remote security holes in the last two versions.... Oh well.

The main point here: just use the tool that suit your needs. If you
need full-blown MTA - use sendmail, qmail, postfix, exim, etc. But you
rare need one on your localhost.

In most cases all you need is just a conventional command line tool
"sendmail" to send your mail to your "smarthost", primitive outbound
queue runner and local delivery. That's all.

--
Dennis Melentyev