Re: Anticipatory disk scheduling - soc 2008

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 20:53:51 +0200

Nirmal Thacker wrote:
I thought of exactly the same thing (except I was not sure where to
add this)since I assume that the scheduler which I write should be
accessbile as an interface (hence add an API) rather than plugging it
into the NATA driver. However this would require me to modify (would
it?) calls in the nata code - is this OK?

Sure thing. I think eventually all disk drivers which have latency due to seeks would use this API.

   This would allow you to test your scheduler with a vkernel by also having
   the VKD driver call it (/usr/src/sys/dev/virtual/disk).

Im not sure of what I understand about the vkernel. Is this a common feature in BSD systems or only the DragonflyBSD? Could I have more information (or hyperlinks) to this and how it is important or can help me in testing my scheduler, as you mention above.

This is D-d-d-dragonFly exlusive(-ive-ive-ive)! Have a look at vkernel(7).

cheers
  simon