Re: Network transition complete + PF question

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:42:19 -0700 (PDT)

:Not sure if I fit in the former category, but I don't *think*
:there's anything that does this .. I've thought about someday trying to
:rig something up - it would be nice e.g. to lower the priority of HTTP
:sessions after some amount of data is travelling - that way my
:interactive bw would not be hogged by big downloads..

    That you can actually do, but it will effect *all* of the HTTP sessions
    and not just the one the download is occuring over.  In the section
    on queues HFSC supports 'realtime sc', 'upperlimit sc', and
    'linkshare sc', where 'sc' can be a single percentage or in
    a special (m1, d, m2) format:

	"The format for service curve specifications is (m1, d, m2).
	m2 controls the bandwidth assigned to the queue.  m1 and d are
	optional and can be used to control the initial bandwidth assignment.
	For the first d milliseconds the queue gets the bandwidth given as
	m1, afterwards the value given in m2."

:it might be possible to hook up pfctl or pfflowd into some kind of table
:modifying script some how
:
:If we had tagging support, this might be easier
:
:http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/tagging.html
:
:(e.g. monitor state table every N & retag high bandwidth traffic,
:  using the tags to assign traffic different priorities)
:
:ideally the 'pf' config would allow some kind of 'rate' designator

    I'm pretty sure we have tagging support, but as far as I can tell
    there is no way to associate a tag with the keep-state PF uses to
    track a connection.

    It would be a cool addition if one could specify a keep state option
    to have it automatically tag packets associated with high-bandwidth
    connections.  That plus a fair dequeue would be killer.

					<dillon@backplane.com>