Re: Network transition complete + PF question

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:45:41 -0400

Matthew Dillon wrote:
 >     I have a question for the PF/ALTQ masters out there.  I am trying to
    configure PF in a manner similar to what Cisco's fair-queue algorithm
    does.  Cisco's algorithm basically hashes TCP and UDP traffic based
    on the port/IP pairs, creating a bunch of lists of backlogged packets
    and then schedules the packets at the head of each list.

Not sure if I fit in the former category, but I don't *think*
there's anything that does this .. I've thought about someday trying to rig something up - it would be nice e.g. to lower the priority of HTTP sessions after some amount of data is travelling - that way my interactive bw would not be hogged by big downloads..

it might be possible to hook up pfctl or pfflowd into some kind of table modifying script some how

If we had tagging support, this might be easier

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/tagging.html

(e.g. monitor state table every N & retag high bandwidth traffic,
 using the tags to assign traffic different priorities)

ideally the 'pf' config would allow some kind of 'rate' designator