Re: Is DragonFly using OSS 4.0?

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:05:14 +0200

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
On the kernel?  None.  It's a user-space thing.  But on DragonFly as a
distro?  Support out of the box would be appreciated.  But hey, easy
installation through pkgsrc is appreciated.  DF users just need to be
educated about the benefits of the formats.  If everyone thinks the
same way as Mr Spanjaard, we Xiph may as well give up already.

Please don't take this personally and don't make this personally. It's just that DragonFly is an operating system, not a multimedia system. This means there is support for hardware and software interfaces, but we don't ship by default with media players, browsers, stuff like that. However, this software can easily be installed using available binary packages. These packages of course support all Xiph media formats. Every system which does not support these formats is not a proper system, i n my eyes (my stupid mp3 player doesn't :/).

While I can't see myself porting OSS4 to DragonFly, maybe somebody else wants to do it. I wouldn't suggest putting it into the base system, however. A simple pkgsrc package would probably be one of the best solutions, giving the user the choice to use OSS4, while not duplicating a subsystem in the kernel.

cheers
 simon