Re: Is DragonFly using OSS 4.0?

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:33:08 +0000

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
On 8/17/07, Justin C. Sherrill <justin@shiningsilence.com> wrote:
It's probably a matter of license (at the time it was GPL only; CDDL was
not available) and someone having the time to work on it.  So, yeah...
time.
Well, the license issue was taken cared of.

It's still not BSDl, and the CDDL is only marginally better than the GPL, imho.

Let's hope you guys get
OSS 4.0 up and running soon for some good audio love.  And don't
forget to support Open Media formats (Vorbis, FLAC, Theora, etc.)

As for those audio formats, we don't support any compression/storage format in base other than just raw audio streams. And I don't think we ever intend to bundle third-party libraries with restrictive license. Ofcourse, these libraries are available from pkgsrc, which is good enough. What support for 'open media formats' do you expect from a base operating system?

Cheers,
--
        Thomas E. Spanjaard
        tgen@netphreax.net