Re: 2.0 installer integration

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:28:53 +0200

Gergo Szakal wrote:
This is going to be my last attempt on this, since the
bsdinstaller list and IRC are "dead".

i think people are distracted by other things, but that doesn't mean that the installer code is in bad shape.

I am trying to integrate the latest BSDinstaller into DragonFly. I
understood the hierarchy of Lua scripts (I know Lua) and their
functions (although I am not a big fan of Lua 5.0 with compat-51), and
a friend of mine has replaced the ports-related stuff to pkgsrc-related
things. Let's then see what we can do now:

that's cool! It was a very hairy issue last time I tried because there were hardcoded references to /usr/local everywhere.

* I can rewrite the Lua scripts to make them Dragonfly-specific.

I think we should keep the scripts in a way so that they are usable on freebsd and dragonfly, maybe by use of conditionals or by splitting scripts. I'd like to commit the changes back to the bsdinstaller repo.

What we cannot do:
  * Make the CGI interface work.

Is this necessary? I mean it's a cool feature, but who uses it?

* Make the installer reachable via SSH.

that didn't work with the last installer either. I think this is doable.

cheers
 simon