Re: Patch framework

From: Eugene <communique@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:56:38 +0300

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Thu, March 22, 2007 10:23 am, Eugene wrote:
Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

    Honestly, if you guys want something to work on this area.... how
    about working on a way to integrate pkgsrc packages into the base
    system build so we can get rid of all (or most) of our locally
    maintained third party code bases?
I haven't tried it, but isn't this somewhat possible now by including
the precompiled packages in $PKGSRC_PKG_PATH when using nrelease to
build a CD?
Sorry for a stupid question, but does this mean changes in packages
(adding or removing extra packages) for the CD?
If implemented, it would.  The install process would be the same; some
software usually built as part of the system would instead be included
through pkgsrc.
So, this mean that the LiveCD will have less functionality and more packages available on it, like a NetBSD CD? If so, it would be sad, because the CD is very useful in its current state and still pretty small. And reinstalling newer versions of tools from packages is not a very big problem, IMHO.
--
Sorry for my poor English.