Re: Google is Hiring [ now way OT ]

From: "Justin C. Sherrill" <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:53:44 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, February 12, 2007 8:46 pm, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> My alma mater (University of Waterloo) went one step further -- instead of
> standardizing on Java (which has some potential to become an "open"
> language allowing folks to dig into gcj and related projects) decided
> to have all of their engineering students learn C#.

In 1998 (bubble years, remember), while I was in graduate school, one of
the faculty proposed taking the required basic C/C++ classes required for
every Information Technology student and instead requiring Visual Basic.
His defense of the idea was "Well, we have companies asking for that!
It's in demand!"  It didn't happen.