Re: DragonflyBSD fast syscall support and x86 improvements

From: "Attilio Rao" <attilio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:09:09 +0200

2006/6/28, David Xu <davidxu@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

I have a complete patch for FreeBSD to support sysenter/sysexit, in fact, it is running on my machine for months, but I must say it is useless, I saw no performance improvement in real world, yes, in benchmark world, you can measure the improvement by doing getuid() syscall, and you found it is a lot faster, but in real world, application is more complex, and doing heavy work

How much it is faster in percentage? The fact that in real world it loosed the hypotetical improvement can be given by a couple of different factors: - wrong benchmarks in the 'test' case or in 'real' case - not counting important aspects in implementation that slows your code too. - etc.

I will review it ASAP, thanks for this interesting pointer.

Attilio

-- Peace can only be achieved by understanding - A. Einstein