Re: pkgsrc packaging of base?

From: Oliver Fromme <check+iugocf00rsxtxmvr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10 Feb 2006 08:07:10 GMT

Csaba Henk <csaba.henk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
 > On 2006-02-09, Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >     Our 'make upgrade' target deletes all old files that are no longer
 > >     part of the official distribution.  Its all integrated in already.
 >
 > As a sidenote, I saw the refreshing lack of mergemaster from
 > upgrade instructions. I *loathe* that part of FreeBSD upgrades, dumbly
 > OK'ing a hundredsome one line RCS id diffs and then dumbly OK'ing a
 > relevant change...

On the contrary, I like mergemaster very much.  It makes
merging changes to config files a lot easier and more
convenient than doing it manually.  And as a nice side
effect, I see the changes that have been made to the
original files, such as new features in defaults/rc.conf.
Before mergemaster existed, it took me a _lot_ longer to
merge new etc files with my own ones, and it happened
more often that I missed something.  It should also be
noted that mergemaster prevents foot-shoting especially
for non-experts when upgrading a system.

As far as "a hundredsome one line RCS id diffs" go:  You
can disable them easily in /etc/mergemaster.rc or in your
$HOME/.mergemasterrc, so you don't have to ACK them at all.
It also has settings to ignore /etc/motd, to specify
additional diff(1) options (e.g. to ignore whitespace
changes), and it has even hooks so you can insert own
scripts before and after comparison, which easily lets you
e.g. ignore or always install certain types of files.

Did you even read the mergemaster(8) manpage?
It's definitely worth it.  ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver