Re: pkgsrc packaging of base?

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:22:03 +0100

On 09.02.2006, at 14:54, Eli Green wrote:
i'm opposing the packaging of base, yet i'd like to see file registration (also for what somebody might call "package": sendmail, bind, whatever, basically what we have as WANT_* or NO_* already), so that stale files can be removed and unneeded parts not be built.
What about making things like bind and sendmail packages? Even more
relevant would be non-blessed versions of GCC in my mind since they're
large, slow to download and compile and most people will probably stick
with whatever's in base.

What is the gain? Making stuff more complex for the user and more complex for the developers to handle. Maybe we are talking about different things tho, and as long as nobody puts together a design proposal, we will continue to do so...

I guess what I'm saying is that I also see disadvantages in slicing up
"base" into packages, but trimming stuff from base doesn't seem like too
bad an idea.

I don't think we are talking about trimming stuff from base, we are talking about making things optional to install/deinstall, right?

Is all of /src/games available as ports? Am I suggesting BSD blasphemy
by suggesting not including "hack" as part of a base install? (note that
I'm sure as heck not suggesting dropping fortune...)

yes, you are. what is the advantage of putting it somewhere in a dusty closet in the garage? it can as well stay in our house, and the closet is at least being dusted off now and then...

cheers
  simon