Re: pkgsrc packaging of base?

From: Eli Green <eli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:54:57 -0500

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 01:51:47PM +0100, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

since years...

i'm opposing the packaging of base, yet i'd like to see file registration (also for what somebody might call "package": sendmail, bind, whatever, basically what we have as WANT_* or NO_* already), so that stale files can be removed and unneeded parts not be built.

cheers
  simon

What about making things like bind and sendmail packages? Even more relevant would be non-blessed versions of GCC in my mind since they're large, slow to download and compile and most people will probably stick with whatever's in base.

Ok, probably not sendmail since it's used by cron jobs to report back to
root. But bind? I wonder how many BSD boxes are out there not running
bind.

I guess what I'm saying is that I also see disadvantages in slicing up
"base" into packages, but trimming stuff from base doesn't seem like too
bad an idea.

Is all of /src/games available as ports? Am I suggesting BSD blasphemy
by suggesting not including "hack" as part of a base install? (note that
I'm sure as heck not suggesting dropping fortune...)

Although, of course, FreeBSD already has "sets" that you can choose not
to install, which seem to be divided on somewhat illogical lines.