Re: Disk too full

From: Michael Neumann <mneumann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:57:57 +0200

Am 22.05.2013 10:32, schrieb Konrad Neuwirth:
> Dear reader,
>
> there is probably something very, very obvious that I am missing, but one server of ours is claiming so much more disk space is filled than current use warrants and I don't see how I can free that again.
>
> It's a drive that contains five pfs; four master and one slave.
>
> I've reblocked the pfs, but still there's too much overhead.
>
> How can I investigate where the blocks went, and particularly: How can I free them?
>
> Thank you,
>   Konrad

Hammer takes snapshots and keeps them for a while. You can configure
this using "hammer config pfs".
If you then run "hammer cleanup", this history retention policy is
applied (i.e. snapshots are taken,
old snapshots are freed, all non-snapshotted data is purged, and the
filesystems in question are
reblocked...).

You probably either don't run "hammer cleanup" regularily, or your
history retention policy keeps too
many snapshots (I think the default is to keep 60 days worth of snapshot
with a 1-day granularity). If
this is the case, either "hammer config" and use a lower value (e.g. "1d
30d" to keep 30 days, or "2d 30d"
to only keep every second day...).

"hammer reblock" doesn't help as it only brings the blocks in-order
again, but does not free space.
"hammer prune" is your friend.

If you want to release all space taken by snapshots, use "hammer
prune-everything filesystem" but with CARE!
All your historical data will be LOST!

Regards,

   Michael