Re: Intel Corporation 82578DC Gigabit NIC support

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:27:12 +0000

Hello -

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:10:10PM +0530, Siju George wrote:

> Thaks for your reply :-)
> Which files should I edit for this?

I took a look at this w/r/t the FreeBSD / openbsd drivers to try and
provide some hints, and it looks like this is a 'non trivial' case -
that is to say, there is various device-specific code for the driver
which looks to be required to make this particular chip work.

Sorry to get the hopes up!

(removes foot from mouth)

That being said, it also doesn't seem like there is *too much*
chip specific stuff, so it probably would not be too much of a port.

As I gave bad advice previously, I will take a crack at this tomorrow.

FYI - related files are:

  sys/dev/e1000 in the freebsd tree

and

  sys/dev/netif/em
  sys/dev/netif/ig_hal

along with:

  sys/bus/pci/pcidevs

in ours.

grepping around for 82578 shows what appears to be all the related
missing pieces.

Cheers,

- Chris